Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Coming on Christmas

River

It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river I could skate away on

But it don't snow here
It stays pretty green
I'm going to make a lot of money
Then I'm going to quit this crazy scene
Oh I wish I had a river I could skate away on

I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
I wish I had a river I could skate away on
I made my baby cry

He tried hard to help me
You know, he put me at ease
And he loved me so naughty
Made me weak in the knees
Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on

I'm so hard to handle
I'm selfish and I'm sad
Now I've gone and lost the best baby
That I ever had
I wish I had a river I could skate away on

Oh, I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I made my baby say goodbye

It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
I wish I had a river I could skate away on


© 1970; Joni Mitchell


This is what I've been singing lately, in the car, in the kitchen, in the back field . . .

The subjunctive, "I wish" O, what is the wish that eludes most of us, the one that catches us off guard. I've been thinking, dangerous enterprise, something that guarantees brooding. Sometimes, I just want to put my hand out and stop the constant swirl of living. I want it to be quiet, really quiet, so I can hear wind, or the cat's purr, without feeling the pressure (most often self- imposed) to get on to the next thing.

I feel like I've lost 35 lbs, which I may have, by completing my semester's grades.

Yesterday was my son Nick's birthday. He is the Solstice baby, born on the shortest day, longest night-- now our world turns toward more light, day by day. With this thought comes four gorgeous seed catalogs in the mail. One completely dedicated to tomatoes!

We've been sneaking peeks at all the offerings. We have big gardens and last year was terrible
because of the colder temperatures and rain. We had Seattle weather and I think Seattle had ours. Give it back, please! But this doesn't seem to stop us or our playing in the dirt.

Next few days dedicated to the celebration of light and Christmas. We have a skinny tree this year and it's lovely-- it doesn't take over the room. I'm so relieved. I think I've been feeling crowded, and I didn't want to deal with elbow to branch during our family gatherings.


Looking forward to the next two weeks . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment