Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rainy Day Wednesday

Strange mood. It's raining quite hard and steady this morning. The gutters are gurgling. The meadow grasses that once were brimming with clusters of asters and daisy flea bane are now entering their phase of entropy-- the umber of demise-- the sounds of rattle. Autumn turns its face away. "There are no answers, only choices."


Wrote a new poem yesterday, but my writing time was disturbed by family asking me what I was doing. Is this their first day living with me? Not sure if this is worth being annoyed about, but the poem I wrote disturbed me. It revealed something quite intimate about my interior life.

I'm going to let it simmer on the back burner for a bit.


Today, I will be showing Our Town to my metaphor class. Hunka-Hunka Burning Love-- Paul Newman stars in it. I think it's a fascinating play, and enjoyed listening to my students play the parts in class. Even gender bending, asking them to play opposite roles. I loved how they interpreted the voices. I think they will be surprised by how accurate they were in delivery and tone, which is a hat tip to Wilder. I'm hoping they will pick up on the undertelling in the story.
How change is a curious character in the play. Make us think twice about what is happening.
It's really not the pat answer of remembering the way we were or live life to the fullest or a version of Carpe Diem.

Thursday I will be taking my Encounters class to PUSH Theatre's performace of Dracula. I posted a huge promotion about it an earlier post. Those of you who are in our area should
go to the performance. PUSH is breath-taking. If you're not in the area, but could bring this troupe to your area, I would say look into it, especially colleges and universities that have a dance department. I love dance. SUNY Brockport has a strong dance department and I love to go to their performances, which are quite frequent and varied.


Hope all of you out there are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment