Friday, May 29, 2009

End notes

Tar River Poetry's Spring 2009 issue arrived this week. I received three copies and the one sandwiched between the other two is in perfect condition. The other two were injured in transport. I wish they would mail these in a wrapper. One is really mucked up. Consequently, it's the one I'm carrying around the house reading. It didn't help that we had some heavy rainstorms too.

TRP has a new look: color cover, perfect binding, new font design. What hasn't changed is the selection of terrific poems. There are some that just made me laugh.

If you've never sent to Tar River Poetry, you may want to consider them. They only accept electronic submissions. Reasonable reporting time too. Submission period is September-April.
They do not read May-August. You can check out their web site.

*

Kelli Agodon had a post about Poets & Writers. Kelli, my subscription has lapsed, which really surprised me! I've had a subscription for years. P&W has changed dramatically over the past 5 years. I read P&W in this order:

1. Call for submission pages
2. Articles
3.Call for competitions, grants, fellowships, and so on
4. The awards page

I'm happy for winners, and send notes of congratulations., or tell the winner in person or on phone, or now via email. I'm very happy for my friends' good news. I know how hard they're working.

I can certainly see how jealousy can be a motivator for someone who says, that should be me, I need to get busy. And, if that works, that's good.

But, for me, in the past (go way back to childhood) mean-spirited jealousy always poisoned my heart, which in turn, hung me up and made me stew, which turned out to be a big waste of time. I think I learned the downside of jealousy at an early age. I try to steer away from it.

I am going to renew my subscription to P&W too.


*

Working Class Theatre Company makes its debut with a staged reading of Waiting For Lefty by Clifford Odets. Performances are at 7:00pm at the charming and unique Yesterday's Muse Bookstore, 32 W. Main Street Webster.

ADMISSION IS FREE!!! Immediately following the performance will be coffee and dessert with the cast and producers, courtesy of WCTC.

Hope people will come out and support this.


*

Have you bought your ticket yet?

Writers & Books Sense of Place Gala
Saturday, May 30th. 2009, at the Rochester Academy of Medicine 1441 East Avenue, Rochester NY , beginning at 6:30 p.m.

Writers & Books is pleased to announce Julia Glass as the 2009 winner of the Sense of Place Award. Glass and other notable local awardees will be honored at our entertaining annual literary event.

175th Anniversary Award: For the City that Champions Literature and Literacy: The City of Rochester
Individual for Life-Long Contributions to Rochester's Literary Community Award: Posthumously honor Sal Parlato (accepted by Dolores Parlato)
Writer Award: Posthumously honor Frederick Douglass (accepted by Michelle Garcia-Daniels and School #12) and Susan B. Anthony (accepted by the Susan B. Anthony House)
Individual for Significant Contributions to Writers & Books Award: Ken McCurdy
Teacher of Adults Award: Len Messineo
Teacher of Young People Award: Wendy Low


6:00-6:30: Patron Reception with Julia Glass
6:30-7:30: Reception featuring hearty hors d'oeuvres and local wines
7:30 -8:00: AWARDS CEREMONY with Keynote speaker Julia Glass
8:30-10:00: Coffee and dessert reception, book signing silent auction, and Prius raffle winner selected.

Tickets: $100 patron ticket Register Online
$40 general public Register Online
$35 W&B members Register Online
$25 student Register Online

To purchase tickets online, select ticket type above, or call 585 473-2590 x107 to purchase tickets over the phone.

Signing for the hearing impaired will be provided.



I'm going to the Working Class Theatre on Fridayevening and W&B's event on Saturday evening.
Should be a busy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment