Saturday, May 28, 2016

Mary, How Does Your Garden Grow?

My gardens are two varieties: those of the fruit & vegetable and literary kind.  I've been hard at work in both. Since the academic year ended several weeks ago, I made a plan to be committed to my creative endeavors.

Thus far, I have organized my fourth full length collection This Thirst, and chapbook e-Motion of prose poems and micro fictions (35 pages). I have sent out the chapbook to a contest.  Hoping to put the final touches on This Thirst this week, and then I will send it out too.

My third collection Small Worlds Floating will be here in 6-7 weeks per my publisher. I  began to put this together (4 years ago).  Finally sent it out.  It was accepted in six days.  I don't know why I was dragging my big toe on this.  Perhaps distracted by other work. No doubt.  That is what was going on.

Now I'm working on my  'no name yet' novella.  I'm over 15,000 words, which is a feat for me, and the story is just unfolding before my eyes. I'm hoping to have this done by end of June.  This too was started two years ago. I've worked on it in fits and starts for the past two summers.  Summer three is the charm.  I have settle into the narrative.  I found my form.  I hear and see my characters.  Consequently, this is what I'm writing.  My head is so focused on story-telling.

Several weeks ago, I was working on essays.  I have one that is just so fussy.  It has a terrific start, but everything that has come after, well,  truthfully, pretty awful. Snip! The edit x-key at work. It's that easy. Several other essays came together without a hitch. How does this happen? How can  this be the same person writing?  Is the process different?  It must be, right?  The creative zone or not. Funny too, the troublesome essay is about a second chance at what was believed to be a total loss.Of course, this makes sense, right?  It's on the back burner right now. Simmering.

Meanwhile, a lot has been going on outside too.  We started our seeds a while ago.  I have planted 113 tomato plants, and we aren't done yet. I would say we have a serious tomato addiction. We have three new heirloom plants: Mortgage Lifter (this promises tomatoes that weigh 2 lbs each-- some big ass tomatoes!)
Boxcar Willie and Crimson Beauties.  We have Carolina Gold, Honey Bunch , No name yellow tomatoes, Sweet 100s, Cherokee, Brandywine Pink and Red, Beef Steak, Celebrity,  German. and a lot of Romas.
I've also planted cherry bomb (hot) peppers and red bell peppers.

Today, I plan on getting out there now, before the heat of the day really cranks up (it's going to be in the 90s).



Photo: P. Tonery. Sunflowers, 2012.  

No comments:

Post a Comment