Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Good Day Sunshine, I love to

Had the Beatles' tune running through my head today. It's felt like Spring for the past few days.
I know this is wishful thinking. We usually have wild weather in March.

Spent the morning with 2nd graders. We created "Picture Me" poems.

Example: Picture me pink as a rabbit's nose, wiggling: "Hey, where's my carrots!"

or

The World Wrestling theme, which I really don't have any expertise, but 2nd grade boys know everything about it. It makes their eyes gleam. 2nd and 3rd graders remind me of birds.
They float around the room, settle on chairs, on top of desks, they chirp, chirp, chirp.


There are never enough pencils. Never enough pink pearl erasers.

****

Then after working with the 2nd graders, I traveled 30 minutes West to SUNY Brockport where we discussed the short story "The Land of Sad Oranges" and Li Young Lee's Rose.
The day just flew by. Snow melting, melting-- water gurgling down the streets and sidewalks, revealing the wear of winter-- the numerous potholes everywhere and sometimes unavoidable.
The other day, I did skirt one which would have swallowed my car. It was the size of a room. I swear there was a family of four inside, sitting down at a table, eating soup.

*****

This week my Encounters Class goes to a West African Dance session. They are excited about it, but are having some anxiety about being barefoot. Some just don't like to look at feet. Others are worried about germs on the floor. I'll let you know how we do, barefoot-ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment