Saturday, October 25, 2014

Up In the Air!

Photo by Michael Czarnecki, Fall 2014
used with his permission.

Autumn.  Say it aloud. Hear its sound of yum; taste it with your tongue. This season of weight and delight offers us a full share of its hours. Don't miss out on
that walk in the park, kicking the leaves, or sharing a cup of something with your family and friends.

I have been tying to slow things down a bit; making a conscious effort to enjoy the people I'm with when I'm with them, especially my students (all 102 of them) this semester, who are truly some kind of wonderful.

It's getting dark early now.  Soon, the clocks will click backwards, and we will return to the rhythm I love best to everything.

You don't know how I love taking back that hour.

I confess this week, actually starting  last Sunday night, I was praying for a snow day.  I need a day to just hunker down without any interruption. (Who am I kidding?) I think this is the reason why I get up in the middle of the night to do work.  This weekend I will be another grading marathon.  I think I have close to 600 pages of quilt essays, which I have started to read, but haven't had big chunks of time to get it all done.  This weekend is do or die.

I am glad to report that the harvest is nearly complete.  Still have to pick more apples and carrots ( as most of you know, I planted over 400 carrots-- all named Jack). As soon as this is done, we will be tuning over the garden.  On Halloween, we celebrate our 26th year living on the farm.


So far, so good.


 






No comments:

Post a Comment