Sunday, March 14, 2010

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Entering a very busy time of year-- the pace will be gallop until the end of the semester. I'm feeling cranky because I have another terrible cold. This cold has stressed my breathing and voice capacity, so it's going to be tricky teaching this upcoming week. I'm not looking forward to it. I just hope I'm able to do it.

Looking forward to this week: Sonja Livingston with be reading from her award-winning memoir Ghostbread on March 18th, 2010 at 7:30 p.m., at St. John Fisher College in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel. There will be refreshments and book signing too.

I love, love, love this memoir. If you haven't read it, you must put it on your to read list-- I have given it to friends and family. It's quite a story of growing up. The form is inviting, short vignettes appointed as chapters that travel the Rochester, N.Y. and surrounding landscape.
Sonja's writing allows her readers to see her family situation from a point of view that encourages understanding rather than "Can you believe this happened to me." Her storytelling is poignant, revealing the good and not so good situations growing up in a family of seven, with a mother who was trying to make a life for herself and her children. It wasn't easy to say the least. So if you're in the Rochester area, I hope you will come to her reading at St. John Fisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment