Monday, January 25, 2010

Rainy Rain Monday

Rain thrashing against the house all night long. . . Still going on in this early morning. Drinking coffee, making a to do list, still snuffling and shuffling around the farmhouse. Everyone is still asleep. The heat has just come on.

It's hard to believe that this is the last week of January. I hope to give my granddaughter her birthday earrings this week. She's now 8 years old and had her ears pierced. The earrings are very pretty-- garnets, her birthstone. Her celebration with us was postponed due to illness.
She wasn't sick, but most of her family was, is-- varying degrees of virus, colds, you name it -- bad bugs. So fingers-crossed, I will be able to see her very soon! Garnets are a pretty stone, and these are quite fiery. Delicate too. A lot of the 14K earrings were "too mature."

I was in 8th grade, studying for a European History exam in the kitchen nook, and my Dad (who was a doctor) pierced my ears using a large sewing needle and ice cubes. My Mom was the assistant-- she took a ballpoint pen and marked the center of both earlobes-- symmetry. It's a funny memory. I was thinking about the Battle of Hastings. No fuss. Done in seconds. No infections. I hope she has good luck too.

I don't want to face the world today. . . Need to shuffle back out to the kitchen and pour myself another cup. . . What to do, what to do. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment