Sunday, January 31, 2010

Last Day of January 2010

Last night, the dome of lake sky was so clear and the moon was so full, so large, so bright in the so very, very cold air. Pin needles that how the cold feels against your face. I had spent the afternoon with my sister and we went thrift shopping-- I bought a plate that says "Pasta" on it. She bought a full set of 1978 National Geographic maps (U.S.A.) and a red-headed troll in a sailor suit and two pins. I like fashion pins and have several really nice ones, but forget to put them on, for that finishing touch. When I dropped her off, it was dark outside, and the moon was rising. I followed it home.

Had-- you guessed it-- Pasta for dinner (homemade summer sauce) truly yum and then settled on the couch to watch a movie with Peter. We saw Gigantic, a 2009 independent comedy film directed by Matt Aselton and starring Paul Dano, Zooey Deschanel, John Goodman, Edward Asner and Jane Alexander. The script, written by Aselton and his college friend Adam Nagata, tells of Brian (Dano), a mattress salesman who wishes to adopt a baby from China but is sidetracked when he meets the quirky, wealthy Harriet (Deschanel). The story was based on Aselton's childhood wish for his parents to adopt a Chinese baby, and the film was shot in New York and Connecticut. It had its world premiere at 2008's Toronto International Film Festival and was released in the United States on April 3,2009.

It's a strong script and the metaphor is layered. So you really have to pay attention to get it.
No wonder all those wonderful actors wanted to be in it.

Also, on Friday night we watched The Invention of Lying, a 2009 American comedy satire and a romantic comedy film, written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Matthew Robinson. It stars Gervais and Jennifer Garner also featuring Louis C.K., Rob Lowe and Tina Fey. The film was released in the United States and United Kingdom on October 2, 2009.

I did laugh at this film. It was a good one to watch after the long week of work and meetings and conversations. Sometimes I come home and my earlobes are dragging on the ground. New meaning for "ear to the ground" and not listening.


I planted an amaryllis and paper whites yesterday. The bulbs were still solid, so I think they will grow. The bulbs were from Holland and the dehydrated peat discs were from Sri Lanka and now they're growing on my sunny windowsill in Hamlin NY. Travel the world to grow flowers in Winter.


C. Dale Young is coming to Rochester in a few months. I'm trying to figure out a way to go to his reading. I would like to hear him read. Strange, the U of R reading series are at 5:00 p.m. In years past, the readings were at 7:30 p.m. It's such a difficult time. I wonder if they did this, so the dinner with the guest reader after the reading is without deadline and more relaxed. That makes sense , doesn't it? How many times have you been too jazzed to eat before a reading, right? And, I have been in an audience where the reader has been sloppy because of one too many glasses of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment