Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Round Up

In spite of a miserable summer cold, I have forged ahead, teaching all week, and going out too.
Went to Rochester's International Jazz Festival and heard:

Jake Shimabikuro


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpIT_T9yGo

This is a UTube connection so you can heard him. Amazing! He's adorable too. A poet on that ukulele! How he makes four string sing like 13. He's whimsical, soulful, electric-- so much to admire. It's exciting, discovering someone like Jake. Hope you enjoy him as much as we did.


Also heard Carolyn Wonderland Group. She's from Austin, Texas and her vocals are a mix of Melissa Etheridge, Bonnie Raitt, and her own sound. She's an accomplished musician( guitar, mandolin, trumpet) and song writer. I enjoyed her music, but I couldn't hear the lyrics. She played a song called "Bad Girl" which seemed to be quite playful and outrageous. I like that honky-tonk, funk, blues sound.


Hope to take in more musical events this weekend.



***********

Finished knitting another scarf last night while watching So You think You Can Dance.
I was disappointed in Max's dismissal. Ouch! I thought he was a fabulous dancer. I would have bet on Kupono to go, but I guess they're keeping him for his stylin' outfits.
Lil C's high brow feedback is fun to listen to-- as he says, the dance vernacular.

It's going to be hard to watch the elimination rounds because I like all the contestants this year.


***********


Need to get busy now. Household maintenance awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment