Saturday, January 10, 2009

Weekend Plans: Little Christmas

Hard to believe that it's the 10th of January and there's a tree standing in my living room.
We grow Christmas trees on our little farm. This one was voted exceptional by my family, and
it's still holding on to its needles. We are reluctant to take it down. Packing up the ornaments is double dose of melancholy for me, and I usually do it alone. I may wait until Monday to do this.
We're celebrating little Christmas on Sunday with family. It will be good to see them and catch up.

****

Still in the process of getting my syllabi together. Truthfully, I have no idea where my enthusiasm comes from. But it's percolating. I have some decent plans for the semester. It's definitely going to be lively. I'm truly excited about my Encounter with the Arts class. We're going to have a lot of fun. There are some wonderful opportunities in Rochester. Just a step away.

Report on my goals:
Thus far:
1. Attended Just Poets meeting on January 3rd. Enjoyed the lecture on the Dodge Festival.JP Members and Poets:Donna M. Marbach, David Michael Nixon and Kathy Van Schaick presented
What We Got Out of Dodge, a look back at their experience at the 2008 Geraldine Dodge Poetry Festival. The traveling threesome shared anecdotes, poems, and other tidbits from their adventure at the largest poetry festival in North America.

Reaction:

What I enjoyed about this lecture/presentation was hearing what captured their attention and listening to the sample of poems that showcased the poets who inspired them. All three are wonderful readers.


2.Went to see the final show of Barefoot in the Park at the JCC, in which my daughter Meghan Rose Tonery had a lead role. The show was exceptional. Standing ovations. Such fun!

3. Went to the JP Reading and Open Mic. Featured Poet: Jan Wenk Cedras.

Reaction:

Truthfully, I could listen to Jan for as long as her voice holds out. I'm intrigued by her work. How it twists domestic incidents and imagination. She wrestles with her art-- always "making it new."

I'm also intrigued by cinquain, and David Michael Nixon is accomplished in this poetic form.
I am trying to get "The Adelaide Project" started, whereby 12 poets will write response cinquains; 5 per poet, totalling 60 linked cinquains. Of course, trying to get this together, is "like herding cats." Cliche I know, but so fitting. So if you're reading this and want in on the project to honor Adelaide Crapsey,please Let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment