Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday, Sunday

Went to see my daughter Meghan Rose Tonery perform in the Reader Theatre Winterfest at the JCC. The play was The Triangle Factory Fire Project by Christopher Piehler in collaboration with Scott Alan Evans. Jean Gordon Ryon directed the reading-performance. I've always like Jean's interpretation of plays. She understands how lyrical language dreams of possibilites-- the unexpected can happen. This play requires the actors to play many parts, so they're not identified as one part, but add up to a representation of humanity. The play takes place in the early 1900's but you can certainly see connections to 9/11/2001. I thought it was powerful.

Next play at the JCC's Reader Theatre Winterfest will be Sunday, March 8th at 2 p.m.
Women's Minyan by the Israeli playwright Naomi Ragan directed by Sandi Henschel
"She was the wife of a Rabbi and mother of twelve. Her crime was not that she escaped the horror of abuse. It was that she broke the silence."

My daughter Meghan will be reading-performing in this too.

****

Still chilly out. I have a cold. A real nasty cold. I thought I was going to escape getting one, but, I've been burning the candle at two ends. So pass the tissues -- achoo! My sinuses hurt.
My teeth hurt. My nose is red. This is not pretty.


Have to gear up for the week now. Ugh. Hope to see some of the Oscars. I actually saw a lot of the movies nominated, so it will be fun to see who takes the awards.


Hope you all have a good week. We're slowly heading towards Spring. We saw a lot of geese and swans this afternoon. They're starting to come back.

2 comments:

  1. Having a special interest in labor history, I would love to see this play. Have you read Fragments from the Fire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,the play was powerful. The bldg still exists and years after the fire, the owners were cited for neglect.

    The cross-examination scenes were unnerving. How the prosecutor twists his language to confuse the character named Mary Alter. It was chilling.

    Many people chose to jump from the eighth story to their death. This is why you can see this piece of history connected to 9/11. I haven't read the work you mentioned, but I will look for it.

    The next play sounds pretty amazing too. Especially if she broke her silence.

    Good to hear from you. Hope you're well.

    Please send me a note when your chapbook is available.

    Thanks!

    M.J.

    ReplyDelete