Wednesday, February 18, 2009

February 18, 2009

I awoke at 4:30 a.m. to post assignments and grade papers and write recommendations.
So far, so good. After working a couple of hours( the farmhouse is so quiet in the early morning-- all are still asleep), I had a bowl of Cheerios because I really do like those little oat life rings. Every time I plunge my spoon into the blue bowl, I think: save my clogged arteries. Who knows if this is going to work, but I'm exercising more and watching my intake of the four basic food groups: salt, butter, fat, and chocolate.

When my daughter sees me working on papers, she decides it's a really good time to talk to me, in that I got something really juicy to tell you. Any other time, she's like a baseball player and reduced to monosyllabic answers: yes. no, shrug. shrug.

She'll be up soon and will have some great tidbit to share about the play she's rehearsing right now. I'll get to see it on Sunday.

My feet are cold. I've been sitting here for a long time.

Have been reading Ted Kooser'sDelights & Shadows.

One favorite among many:

The Necktie

His hands fluttered like birds,
each with a fancy silk ribbon
to weave into their nest,
as he stood at the mirror
dressing for work, waving hello
to himself with both hands.

Ted Kooser, Delights & Shadows


This makes me smile. It's a perfect small world poem.

Today I'm waving to all of you--
my shadow caught in the monitor.








No comments:

Post a Comment