Friday, June 12, 2020

Vistations and Dreams, June 12,2020

Red-headed woodpecker, 2020 Photo: P. Tonery

Beyond where I live, two  (invisible) pandemics  become visible.  Daily, I am distraught by what is happening. I wish for a cure, and know that a cure comes about when we care for each other.
I listen to the news, like three doses a day.  In between, I am outside working in our three gardens, or preparing reports, or courses, or writing to keep me centered and calm, because I feel overwhelmed by the hardships people are facing daily, in cities and small towns, across our country. Reports are saying the death toll from Covid-19 will reach 170,000 by October, 2020.  That number is staggering and frightening, knowing the cruel way this virus work. Equally, moving into 18th day of protest in some cities means "Enough is enough." Things have to change.  Things are changing. 

I had no idea, (truly) no idea, that the Army bases in the United States were named after Confederate Generals.  I was stunned by that revelation this week.  Why would the Army honor the Confederate Generals? It's a strange contradiction, seemingly supporting a Confederate mindset; and, it's been an "under-telling" narrative for years.

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”
Barack Obama 

Maybe two weeks ago, I listened to the remarks of our preceding Presidents(Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama) on our current situation (domestic and foreign), and I was struck by how poignant, pointed, and introspective their speeches were. It made me take a deep breath.   So much work ahead, and I am willing to work to make the necessary change.  Get out the vote.  Make our voices heard in November. Be ready.






No comments:

Post a Comment