Monday, December 15, 2014

The Eleventh and Tenth Day of Christmas Sans Holiday Music!

On the Eleventh Day of Christmas, I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and began working on poems, submitting work, sending emails.  Accomplished a lot.  Drank too much organic coffee. 6:30 a.m., showered, dressed, ready for the day.  Made an eight apple pie and pecan turtles.  Timing is essential in this process.  I kept time.
Made over 55  pecan turtles, without any mishaps.

 My focus on the 12 Days of Christmas has been poetry, past two days.  Beginning with haiku/senryu. Have been concentrating on honing idea and image in these new offerings that tumbled out of me.  I'm getting better at these forms.  Polishing them to become the crystals I like to hang on fishing line in my kitchen window.  Multifaceted, emitting shafts of light. That is the haiku/senryu I want, the ones that contain enough mystery to keep me coming back to re-read, again and again.

Moved on to writing Haibun, which is the Japanese prose poem that ends with a haiku/senryu. This too informs the rest of my writing. I have always loved compression, distilling language to its essence, its truth.


The weather is raw and damp.  Snow that came last week is melting slowly.  Gray light, shades of winter coming closer and closer.  It's a good time to work.

 ****

Tenth Day of Christmas, I woke up at 6:30 a.m.  I made coffee.  It's Monday and I have a lot to do today.
 Meetings this afternoon regarding writing residences and professional development workshops. I may go for a walk this morning.  I need Ontario's ions, the lake air to fill my lungs.

My youngest son is winging his way home today from Germany. Haven't seen him in 2.8 years. He'll be landing in NYC to join his sister and we will be joining them for the holidays.   We will give new meaning to the SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS.

I haven't done any writing yet.  Will resume work on a lyric CNF I began a while ago. Found it yesterday in my poking around some older files and wondered why I didn't finish it.  Most likely distractions, the push and pull of daily life.



No comments:

Post a Comment