Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Silent Night . . .

Winter Moon Over Lake
photo by K. Iuppa


Mid-december.  The semester is over. I'm tired but my heart is glad. I went to bed early last night,wanting the sleep of bears.  Woke up around 3:30 a.m., which  has been my customary hour this semester. When the house is quiet, I can accomplish a lot before the day is underway. I have always  liked the privacy of early morning, even when my children were babies.  Those velvety hours alone with them are some of my favorite memories.

We have so much snow.  The orchard has taken on blue light. Silhouettes of deer grazing on fallen apples. They say we're going to have a real winter this year.  Maybe so. It's been needle cold and the wind  has been pressing down, every night for the past week. I listen to our farmhouse inhale & exhale  in its effort to hold its ground.  I often wonder if we will be swallowed up by the wind and taken far, far away.  I have dreams like that, floating  in the space between land and clouds; sometimes floating above clouds. I'm weightless and carefree.  I smile in these dreams.  Last night was a perfect full moon night.  So cold and sparkly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment