Monday, June 4, 2012

Elusive Days of Late Spring . . .


Carmelita Strikes a Pose . . .
Photo by K. Iuppa on Wibke Anne's Camera



Since my last post, my son Nick and  his girlfriend Wibke Anne returned home for a two week visit with family and friends and specifically to attend a good friend's wedding.  Their visit went by in an eyeblink. They left for Germany on Saturday June 2, early in the morning.  We were up at 4 to drive them to the airport.  Saturday was a day of lost time.  Perhaps equal to their 20 + hour trip back to Dusseldorf. Thankfully, They arrived safe and sound, and have resumed their life in progress . . .

Our life here has been consumed by the gardens.  We had a decent all day soaking rain on Friday 6/1, which made all of our plants jump. Spent over 6 hours yesterday mulching and weeding. Peter and I are a bit giddy that we're this far ahead  in maintenance. I think we may actually master  the process this year.  Sustainability is a staggering challenge.  We have been doing this for the past five-six years now.  Modest yet innovative venture.  We have been mostly successful, that is we've been  able to put by  a variety of fresh veggies and fruits and meats. When I was finishing up my work yesterday, I thought about all of the farmers and homesteaders who came before us, before advanced technology.  Think of the hours they worked with plow and horse. Some of this work is tedious, which makes many people wince when we tell them what we're doing.  I'm sure they think we're mad for spending all this time working the land.  But the land itself is a palette for me.  The work is a meditation.  I'm currently working on a novella, which sprung from a prose poem "Hit and Run" that's currently published on the online journal Medulla Times. Interesting how the hours weeding have helped me accomplish the daily pages. So far, so good.  I think I should be finished with the draft by August.










No comments:

Post a Comment