Thursday, December 29, 2011

December 29th, the fourth day of limbo week

Yesterday? It snowed and snowed every which way. Down our country road, a whirling dervish rose up in its carriage-- I swear I saw men in top hats and women in black silk bonnets, rosy cheeked and waving hello and good-bye, thunder of horse hooves passing by quickly and disappearing by the turn onto Priem Road . . . Sometimes, I think I have 19th century sensibilities. I'm certainly drawn to the time period.

This was our first stick to the ground snowfall. Our chickens and ducks were just beside themselves, high-stepping in the snow and squawking, What, What is All This.

Meghan heard an adage the other day, which may explain our lack of winter weather:

Lightning in Fall, No Winter at all.

Have you ever heard this before? Strangely, we had two big thunderstorms in late fall, which were so other worldly, waking us up in the middle of the night.


Because of this mild weather, farmers have been pushing ahead of their usual schedules. Two days ago, they were pruning the orchard that wraps around our land.


I'm pushing ahead of my usual schedule too.

No comments:

Post a Comment