Thursday, July 1, 2010

What do I know?

Getting the word out about this upcoming show.
Opening reception is Friday July 9, 5-7 p.m.














If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can warm me, I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only ways I know it. Is there any other way?

-Emily Dickinson

This quote, vital inspiration as a young poet, and often quoted, and still I think of it when I get that shiver while reading or listening to poetry that just leaves me awe-struck-- thrilled, in the true meaning of thrill, riddled with a thousand tiny holes.


Over the past few days, I've been tying up the loose ends of a Spring residency. Work now complete. Have been working on the orchestration of my third poetry collection, and it's falling into place nicely. Hopefully will have this ready in a week or so.


******


Planning on going to see the Rochester Shakespeare Theater's offering of Much Ado About Nothing.

Here's the blurb from their Web site:

Much Ado About Nothing opens July 2 at the Highland Park Bowl! The Shakespeare Players of Rochester, a program of the Rochester Community Players, will present Much Ado About Nothing, free Shakespeare at the Highland Park Bowl, 1200 South Avenue, July 2 to 17, 2010. This production is being directed by Jean Ryon and produced by Patrick Niles-White. This production is presented with the cooperation and support of the Monroe County Parks Department and with the support of the Law Firm of Boylan, Brown.

Much Ado About Nothing is Shakespeare's mature comedy about adults in love. Fiery Beatrice and hot-headed Benedick blaze away at each other until they realize, aided by the trickery of friends, that they are a perfect couple. Fellow soldier Claudio is smitten by the lovely Hero; their romance is almost undone by the treachery of Don John, bastard brother of Don Pedro, the soldier's leader. Spoiler alert: by the end of the play the lovers get married and the bad guys go to jail!


Eleven performances are scheduled for the following dates (all performances start at 8:00):

Friday July 2 and Saturday July 3
Tuesday, July 6 and Wednesday July 7
Friday July 9, Saturday July 10, and Sunday July 11
Tuesday July 13 and Wednesday July 14
Friday July 16 and Saturday July 17

This is the fourteenth annual Shakespeare at the Bowl production of the Shakespeare Players of Rochester. RCP's Shakespeare Players program is a member of the Shakespeare Theatre Association of America (STAA).

******

Fourth of July, just around the corner. My sister is having a gathering at her lake house. It's going to be 90 degrees and sunny. Perfect day for swimming, visiting, and grazing. The ring of fire and fireworks are spectacular at the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment