Sunday, October 18, 2009

24 hour Getaway

Went to the Finger Lakes for a 24 hour getaway. We hiked in the Bristol Mountains, ate at a lovely bistro called The Brown Hound, then returned to The Gell House and talked and played cards. Woke up early this morning, ate an exceptional breakfast, then packed up and went to the Ontario County Park and hiked there for a bit. Returned home. Since arriving home, I've put by another batch fresh tomato sauce and made an apple pie; did some laundry, and looked at the mail. It was really nice getting away; and now, it feels good settling back in. The woodstoves are burning. Our farmhouse is toasty warm. The leaves were mostly yelloworange, with a blush of red, but not as much as usual. No doubt the rain has something to do with this. But the valley looked breath-taking at the look out. Our small towns look so picturesque, especially when autumn presents us with a glorious day. We walked in a woods that reminded me of New England. I like the way the trails wound around and around and around. It was a foot and bike trail, and we could see the mountain bikers move through the woods, lickety-split, flashes of them, moving above us on a different path. I was going slower than my company because I worried about losing my footing. There were a lot of leaves and the ground was slippery from yesterday's rain. I do a lot of walking, but I live in a very flat landscape; so consequently, this hilly landscape was a challenge for me. As I grew accustomed to the incline or decline, my breathing and heart rate adjusted. I should do more of this.


Congratulation to my friend Kelli Russell Agodon. She sent me an email note announcing her good news. White Pines Press has accepted her second full length collection as the winner of this year's competition. Carl Dennis judged. LETTERS FROM THE EMILY DICKINSON ROOM will be released in Fall 2010. Very exciting news!

No comments:

Post a Comment